Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back to Black


I love music. The music I listen to goes hand and hand with my mood. Three months ago I broke up with my boyfriend. Even though I still loved him, I felt like I needed a break. So whenever I would be driving, obviously I controlled the music selection. Whenever a friend would be in the car with me they would complain that before every song I would say " this song reminds me of Phil." This certain friend however is music illiterate. She doesn't listen to the songs meaning she just listens to the words. As long as the song has a catchy chorus or beat she loves it. Yet just a week ago her boyfriend broke up with her and shes trying to get a good myspace song.Who did she resort to, me of course. My myspace song never had anything to do with how popular it is at the moment, but how the song expresses my emotions for the moment.

A song that was gaining my interest lately was Back To Black by Amy Winehouse. Usually I don't like her music at all. But like I said before I just recently broke up with my boyfriend and I decided to see other people. I started dating someone immediately, whereas my boyfriend wanted to wait. After about a month I realized that I only wanted to be with my ex boyfriend. But, of course, at this time he was dating another girl. And I was unsure if I hurt him too much for him to forgive. Well this songs chorus just stood out to me. "We've only said goodbye in words" I think that is such a good line. Yes I told my boyfriend I didn't want to be with him anymore, but I didn't mean it from my heart, it was just words used in anger there wasn't enough emotion behind it to mean forever. I still only thought of him regardless to who I was with or what I was doing. Then the next few lines in the chorus is " You go back to her and I'll go back to black." This obviously hit home for me because if my ex decided to stay with the new girl he was now seeing, my heart was going to re break all over again.

The video is showing Amy Winehouse getting ready for a funeral for her heart. It is actually a pretty good video. Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aygAu1x2uQo

No comments: